Thursday, July 21, 2011

A little update...

Oh.My.Gosh.  I could open this blog 127 times day just to see that sweet face!

It's been a while since an update because...well...I have FOUR kids and a part-time work-at-home job and laundry and toilets and dinner to prepare and...well...I kind of cut off the top of the middle finger on my dominant hand.  Ugh. 

You know this thing...
Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandolin

Well, there's a warning on it about shorter fingers if you don't use the guard.  
They weren't kidding.

An update...

Sleeping
Misgana must be feeling more comfortable with us because his sleeping patterns have improved dramatically.  He has consistently been sleeping 10 hours at night for about a week without screaming and without ever having to be put back to sleep.  Sweetness.  His naps are a little less consistent.  He still needs at least two naps a day, but they range anywhere from about 45 minutes to 2+ hours.  He only seems to want to take the 2+ hour naps when we have to be somewhere at a specific time, thus forcing us to break the "don't wake a sleeping baby" rule.  More often than not, we have a day like today when I have had to rock him back to sleep twice in an hour and a half.  It's a good thing I love rocking him so much, snuggling him, and twisting his curls around my fingers.  I'm also so grateful that the girls are old enough to be left to their own devices while I get the brother back to sleep.
Eating
So far, there's really nothing this boy won't eat.  He's not a huge fan of tart strawberries, but that's about it.  He loves oatmeal with fruit and cinnamon for breakfast, a vegetable and fruit for lunch, and the same for dinner.  He is slowly perfecting his fine motor skills and is about 6/10 on getting Cheerios in his mouth.  While in the throws of teething, he thinks it's hilarious to do raspberries while eating.  Mommy's not as big of a fan.
Development
I'm pretty sure he's gained a good four pounds since coming home, and probablygrown an inch or so too.  His hair is getting thicker every day and his lashes are much more pronounced.  While he is still VERY limber (he can do the splits both ways easy peasy), he is is getting stronger and stronger every day.  He is sitting up VERY well, unassisted, even on the hard floors without a stack of pillows behind him.  He is great with tummy time and scoots and pivots all over the place...backwards.  He loves standing up, assisted, and pops up with ease when holding our fingers with little encouragement or assistance.  He is VERY vocal with lots of "bababas", "dadadas", "nanananas", and my personal favorite, "mamamamas".  He has no idea what they mean yet, but we love hearing the babble.  We've learned that when the noise in the house gets to be too much he screams and screeches and tries to rise above what's already going on.  This is our cue to make an exit to a quieter area for a while.  He has two teeth (bottom left then top left), and their neighbors are VERY close to coming in.  He runs his tongue over them almost constantly.  I can only imagine how strange it must feel to him.  I'm also rejoicing in the fact that he's not nursing - been there, done that.

Attachment
He definitely knows who our immediate family members are.  He can spot his sisters from way across the room and kicks wildly when he does.  He plays shy with new people and will turn his head away from them.  While this breaks a lot of hearts, it's a really good thing as far as attachment/bonding goes.  We are careful to carry him in the Ergo when we go out shopping or to church so that he feels safe and secure in more overwhelming situations.  He will play in his crib quietly after waking up (as opposed to screaming when he first came home), which makes me think he knows that we're going to come get him and he doesn't have to panic.  Daddy and I are still the only ones who feed him or change his diapers or put him down for nap/bedtime and we will probably keep it that way for the 1st six months that he's home, at least.  While it isn't convenient and makes some family members sad, it is what's best for him, so that's what we do.  This isn't about us.  This is about him and his adjustment and making sure it is as seamless as possible for him.
Social Life
Ty LOVES swimming and playing in the water.  If we walk into a backyard that has a pool, he kicks and squeals and tries to throw himself into the water.  He loves to play with his friends in the nursery, who are within a month of him age-wise.  The mommies of these babies have been waiting for this for so long!  He is a very happy baby still and while he's had a few grumpy days, I'm pretty sure it's just a result of teething.  I took him and his sisters to the California State Fair this week and he did really, really well.  He would fuss a bit when he was hungry or needed a diaper change, but otherwise rode in the stroller and took in all the sights and smells of the fair.  He only took a 30 minute afternoon nap and was nearly hyperventilating (joyfully) on the way home.  Possibly a little overstimulated.  Daddy was sure that it was going to be a really rough night, but he logged another 10 hours and surprised the heck out of both of us.  He's been to a 90th birthday party, a couple playgroups, and lots of church.  We also spent an afternoon in Old Sacramento complete with a picnic lunch.  Unfortunately, I forgot napkins, wipes, and the parking meter.  Bummer.

 




A visit with great grandparents.
Old Sacramento



Is he not delicious?!

Mmmm...peaches.



Church nursery playmate - only two weeks apart!

"I love you with my whole heart, Ty." ~ Little Bit


"I want him to stay a baby forever.  I want him to be MY baby so that he can be with ME forever.  I think I love him TOO much!" ~ Ainsley

Playing in the corn box at the State Fair


A little too much fair for Little Bit.


I could not love these kiddos any more than I do.
The Sisters
I am amazed every day by how much these girls love their brother.  Sure, he's just one more thing to fight over, but I'd rather that than the opposite.  They just can't get enough of him and the feeling is mutual.  I love the large age gap.  I don't know how I survived the infant days with the girls without a 10-year-old around to help.  Sometimes I think she's better than I am!  They are all incredibly helpful and understanding about the time and attention he requires.  God has really blessed us in this department.
Chillin' in the backyard with a good book.

Old Sacramento School House



Overall, we are doing really, really well.  We are learning more about our son and are better able to read his cues.  He is learning that we will always be here.  Always.  He is learning that if he fusses in hunger, we will feed him.  He is learning that if he wakes up alone and scared, we will come running.  He is learning what it means to be a part of a family.

While we receive LOTS of second glances when out in public, they are usually accompanied by smiles and super kind comments.  We have been so blessed by this.  Not an ounce of negativity.  Praise God.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely WONDERFUL!!! I love all the pictures, but the pics of him with his sisters are just priceless and made me tear up. My makeup today is not waterproof, and I have to go to back to school night in awhile. Thanks, Traci! ;) What an incredible precious gift he is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post...made me smile...ok and a little teary eyed! My baby girl has taken her baby brother out on a movie date...how cool that our daughters can have very specially blessed little brothers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, he is the darlingest little guy. it's all-out amazing to see how far he's come in this small bit of time. God is so good to us.

    ReplyDelete