We flew from Ethiopia to Dubai, a short four hours. We got bumped up to Business Class, again, which was dreamy, especially with a baby in tow, although I don't remember much of it. Misgana did amazingly well. We were only going to have a short amount of time in Dubai before boarding a plane to LAX, so we did our best to stretch our legs while we could. We were entertained by a man who had obviously had too much to drink, who wandered into the women's restroom and was arguing (not effectively) with airport security. Somewhere in this process he misplaced a shoe. It was comical. So much so that we nearly missed our flight!
I had been dreading this flight since the last time we took this flight, just a few months previous. It was a BRUTAL flight home in March and I had serious anxiety about doing it again. My seat was a bulk head seat and Daddy was right behind me. A little bummed that we weren't sitting right next to each other, but it actually worked out really well. Having the extra leg room was GLORIOUS!! Being able to stand up whenever I needed to was GLORIOUS!! Being close to the restroom was GLORIOUS!! Flying with the service that only Emirates provides for passengers with babies was GLORIOUS!! Being gifted Pedro, the South American parrot puppet, was GLORIOUS!! It really could not have gone any better. I was so thankful at that point that Misgana was not mobile, like the one year old next to me who was having (understandably) a hard time with the last few hours of the16 hour flight. He did really well, considering, and sitting next to a young family who was coming to the United States for the first time was priceless. Wishing now that I initiated conversation with them before the last few hours of the flight. Along the same lines, we were also disappointed that we didn't start conversing with one of the flight attendants sooner. Turns out he grew up in a city just a couple hours from us and attended the same high school as some cousins of ours. Small world, I tell ya. He was kind enough to take a family picture for us and put it in a keepsake card.
I can't tell you what a relief it was to land in Los Angeles. Getting through immigration wasn't horrible and Misgana was as content as ever. Unbelievable. The best part - our friends from Southern California met us at the airport with Sweet Jill's cinnamon rolls and HUGE hugs. What a blessing!! It was so wonderful to see familiar faces during this layover and the few moments we spent with them were such a gift on our homecoming day.
![]() |
| Our God daughter, Emma, Daddy, Katelyn, Noah, Kevin, and, of course, Misgana |
![]() | |
| Noah, Kristen, Misgana, Mommy. NEVER did we think we would have sons a few months apart! |
We were finally able to board the plane. Misgana played with an empty plastic cup the entire flight. Such a good baby.
We landed in Sacramento in the late afternoon (I think) and walked off the plane with many congrats and friendly smiles from the other passengers. We ducked into the closest restroom to don our matching shirts and took a few deep breaths before heading toward the escalator. The passengers who preceded us warmed up the crowd and assured them that they had every right to be excited.
Daddy with his son and I with my flip camera could barely stay upright when we were greeted by this:
The people...
The hugs...
The tears...
The joy...
THE GIRLS.
We had been looking forward to this moment for so long and it was everything we expected it to be and more. Wish we could have stayed there with everyone for the rest of the day. But, we didn't. Everyone was kind enough to give our family space and allow us time to come together as a family of six. Their intentions were good. I know this. Had we known how hard the exhaustion was going to hit once we got home, we probably would have asked someone to come home with us...just to make sure there was someone responsible there in case the house caught on fire. The drive home was great. Thankfully, neither Daddy (driving) nor I fell asleep. Then we got home and Daddy went upstairs and Misgana and I laid down on the couch. The girls woke me up a couple hours later, after having intently watched Misgana and I sleep, to ask if they could have a bowl of cereal for dinner. Daddy had passed out upstairs and I was only conscious long enough to tell them that they could, indeed, have some cereal. The exhaustion was ridiculous and all three of us felt it. The girls were so gracious. They wanted nothing more than to share with us everything they did while we were gone and play with their new baby brother, but they were content with watching us sleep.
We all slept reasonably well through the night...I think...and then it was off to church the next morning. Again, the greeting was knock-your-socks-off great. This congregation prayed endlessly, gave selflessly, and supported mightily through this entire process. They were so excited to see the fruits of their efforts, and we were more than happy to show off our newest addition!
From there we had to go to Sears to buy a new washer and dryer, because isn't that what everyone does after spending a week plus in Africa and bringing home a new baby??? I nearly lost consciousness while we were there. No...really. The exhaustion was more than I could handle and my body was shutting down...quickly. Luckily, the process didn't take too long and we high-tailed it out of there and headed home for a surprise visit from some of my dearest girlfriends. After that...well...I'm not really sure, but I hope it included sleep, and lots of it.
While the minute-by-minute details of that day and the weeks that followed are not crystal clear a year later, the feelings of absolute joy and gratitude on that day are something I will never forget.
My dearest son, I hope you read this and look at the pictures and know that your arrival was excitedly anticipated by so many. They loved you before they knew you and welcomed you with open arms and hearts. You are truly blessed to be able to call these people family and friends. They will, undoubtedly, continue to support you for the rest of your life and for that I am truly grateful.
![]() |
| Then. |
![]() |
| Now. |















Wonderful to read! I probably stared at that most recent family picture for a good 2 minutes. You sincerely have the most GORGEOUS children. I mean that in a totally non-creepy way, but seriously... beautiful family!
ReplyDeleteI know I'm a little partial, but I KNOW!! Thank you! They really are beautiful, on the inside and out. The "out" comes naturally. The "in" we're working on, but isn't that the case for all of us?! Really blessed.
DeleteWhat a beautiful post! Congratulations on 1 year home!!
ReplyDeletebeautiful, these memories, your friends and family, and especially all of you! happy one year together!
ReplyDelete