Wednesday, August 11, 2010

God-incidence

In an attempt to throw in a few more days of "family time" before the kiddos head back to school, Daddy planned our first camping trip in over six years.  Why six years, you ask?  Because our last experience was a NIGHTMARE.  We had a three-year-old and a two-month-old.  Need I say more?  Probably not, but I will anyway.  We had a three-year-old and a two-month-old and we camped in bear country.  That should do it, but I'll tell you more.  We had a three-year-old and a two-month-old and we camped in bear country AND it took us four hours to get there when it should have only taken two.  Why did it take so long, you ask?  Because we had to stop at the uncle's house to get firewood and then we had to stop to cover the back of the truck because it started POURING and then we had to stop to nurse the baby and then we had to stop to change the baby.  So, we had a three-year-old and a two-month-old and we camped in bear country AND it took us four hours to get there when it should have only taken two AND it took us four hours to get home when it should have only taken two.  Why did it take so long, you ask?  Because we had to stop after 10 minutes to change the baby and then we had to stop to nurse the baby and then we had to stop to change the baby and then we had to stop to feed the other three people in the car.  There you have it.  That's why its been SIX YEARS. So, when Daddy suggested a camping trip, I was cautiously optimistic, to say the least, but then he happened to say the word "beach," and I was sold.

I vowed to make this the simplest camping trip ever - no cooking that requires pots or pans or skillets.  We had instant oatmeal, cereal, bratwursts, hot dogs, fruit, chips, and enough junk food to feed a small army for at least a week.  And, believe it or not, we fit everything, including the five of us, into the van and were on the road shortly after 10 a.m. Sunday morning.

Setting up camp was a breeze, besides the fact that our fire pit was full of garbage and the dumpster was overflowing, and we were off to a very good start.  The girls proceeded to get filthy right off the bat and I was constantly having to bite my tongue.  I did, however, make sure that the tent was my clean haven.




 
The first night's dinner was a success and we were all tucked in nice and cozy (after having a VERY close encounter with a skunk) when we realized that campground etiquette has gone the way of the buffalo, as Daddy puts it.  It was after 11 p.m. and everyone was still whooping it up.  My dad informed me that we are officially party poopers.  I laid awake all night listening to it rain, praising God that I convinced Daddy to pull all the shoes inside before going to bed, listening for skunk spray to hit the tent, listening to the chihuahua barking ALL NIGHT, trying to convince the still sleeping Little Bit to lay back down, etc., etc., etc.  It was a very long, sleepless night, but we survived.


The next day there were some kids playing soccer right by our campsite and K.G. watched longingly.  She finally allowed Daddy to walk her over, introduce her, and ask if she could join in the game.  And that is how the new friendship began. 

Two of the kids playing soccer arrived in a van with an Illinois license plate.  Did those people really come all the way from Illinois to camp at Sunset State Beach in California??  Sure 'nuf.  Well, kinda.  They did some other visiting in CA as well, camping their way from Chicago to the California coast.  Crazy if you ask me.  Daddy and I watched the kids playing soccer, having a blast, fast friends and I said, "Those two are twins and I'm pretty sure they're adopted." 

Daddy: What?

Me: Look at them.  They most definitely are not the product of those two people.  And, their sister is a teenager.  I think they're adopted.

Daddy: You are not allowed to ask.

Me: I know.  I'm just sayin'.

So, not only were the kids fast friends, but so were the parents.  It might have something to do with the fact that they are Lutheran, LCMS pastor and wife to be exact, and that they were impressed with Daddy's knowledge of the difference between "because of" and "insofar as."  I'm just sayin'.  We ended up spending a couple hours at the beach with them. 

Daddy: I can't believe how tan ____ & ____ are! (referring to the twins)

Twins' mom: Yeah.  That's because we don't know what nationality they are.

Me (while slapping Daddy on the leg): I TOLD YOU SO!! 

And then I had to explain.  I told them why my adoption radar is so sensitive.  They shared their adoption story, and once again, God showed me the beauty of adoption through complete strangers.  Is it a coincidence that we were on our first camping trip in six years and a family all the way from CHICAGO was camping next to us and their kids were adopted and they were able to share their adoption story with us??  I think not.  God has shown up in so many incredible ways throughout this process, and in ways that I would least expect and when I'm so not expecting it.  Seeing these children as a part of a family unit, calling their adoptive parents "mom" and "dad," seeing the confidence that they had in knowing who they are in that family unit and in God's family was just incredible and beautiful and right and perfect.

Did I mention that an Ethiopian congregation meets in the basement of their church? 



No comments:

Post a Comment