Little Bit and I made a trip to Costco this afternoon for some staples - TP, PB, laundry soap, bread, and pineapple upside down cake for our small group tonight. On our way to the car, we encountered a man that by no uncertain terms would be deemed one of the "least of these." He was wearing torn, way too big, filthy black jeans and a torn, incredibly filthy, way too big grey hooded sweatshirt. He was unable to open his left eye due to what I'm certain was an infection based on the amount of drainage that was keeping it sealed shut. He had, at most, four teeth, and his hands were incredibly callused and dirty. He was begging for money to buy some lunch.
You and I both know that nine times out of 10 the money that you give to someone on the street doesn't go toward food, but who am I to judge. I just spent $50 at Costco. Can I not spare the change in my wallet?
As I stopped, Little Bit in tow, to empty the change from my wallet into his hand, he started sharing the "good news" with me. HE was sharing the GOSPEL with ME! Here he is, the poor, the oppressed, the blind all wrapped up in one, and HE is preaching the incredible news of salvation through Jesus Christ TO ME! What was I to do? I'll tell you what I did. I stopped and listed to every word until he was done. I stood and listened, Little Bit in tow, in the crosswalk in the parking lot at Costco, with a dozen people standing and gawking, while I was being filled with the Holy Spirit by the least of these. I think I even through in a "Praise the Lord" here and there.
He preached to me about how everything good comes from God, and without God we have nothing.
He preached to me about God being light, and without God we are in darkness.
He preached to me about how are are called to take care of one another.
He preached to me about how Jesus saves.
And then, he said, "God bless you."
The least of these asked God to bless ME.
I returned the blessing and walked to the car. I was completely blown away by what had just transpired.
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' Matthew 25:40I hopped in the car, sought the man out, and asked if I could buy him lunch. He hesitated, then replied that a hamburger and fries would be great. I sped through the Wendy's drive-thru in record speed, found the gentleman in the parking lot, and handed him his lunch. Before I could open my mouth, he continued to preach God's perfect word to me.
He preached to me about how everything in the bible is true.
He preached to me about how he is poor, but one day he will be in heaven and he won't be poor anymore.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3He told me that he would pray for ME and MY family.
He told me his name - Terrence.
I told him that I would pray for him too and that I would see him in heaven some day. Then I drove off. The tears ran down my face as I drove home down Highway 99.
You see, we're hosting a small group at our house tonight. It is the first night of a six week study based on The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns - president of World Vision. I have been more challenged by this book than I have been by anything in a long time. Because of it, I wake up each day asking God how I can love, serve, and obey Him that day. I seek opportunities each day to show the love of Christ to someone. Anyone. And my thoughts are filled with quotes such as:
"Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God."
- a prayer by Bob Pierce, Founder of World Vision
"Christ has no body on earth bur yours,
no hands but yours,
no feet but yours.
Yours are the eyes through which Christ's compassion for the world is to look out;
yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good;
and yours are the hands with which He is to bless us now."
- Saint Teresa of Avila
"Preach the gospel always; when necessary use words."
- Saint Francis of Assisi
"The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness
and the world's deep hunger meet."
- Frederick Buechner
"God doesn't promise that all of His followers will be protected from hardship and suffering...But God can also use our tragedies to expand our territory in ways that show a skeptical world a different way to live."
- Richard Stearns
And here, in the midst of my efforts to love, serve, and obey, God used the least of these to share the good news of the gospel with me, right where I was at. In my efforts to bless someone else, I was blessed 1,000 times more.
Please remember Terrence when you pray. Please pray that God would protect him, walk ahead of him, put his angels of mercy around him, feed him, clothe him, heal him (especially his eye), and that he would continue to use him to share the good news.
He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord,
and he will reward him for what he has done.
Proverbs 19:17
6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness [a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness [a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
Isaiah 58:6-8
What a beautiful ad moving moment! ... and you got out of Costco only spending $50!? God is with you!!!
ReplyDeleteWow Traci - that was a God given moment.
ReplyDeleteThanks for making me tear up! Great story!
ReplyDelete