It was a completely normal Monday. Well...maybe a little worse than a normal Monday. It was the Monday after Thanksgiving break and Daddy had to go back to work and the two oldest had to go back to school. I was slowly on the mend after being down with a really bad cold for two and a half days and was doing my best to get through the day. I hadn't showered for
So, there you have it - a little worse than normal Monday sans shower.
The phone rings at 3:27 p.m. I'm sitting at my desk, unshowered and trying to work, all the while trying to get the girls started on their homework and dreaming about the Knoephla soup simmering away in the crock pot. As I've been doing for the past few months, I wait for the caller ID to reveal that it is NOT Holt calling. Nope not Holt. Just a random number without a name associated with it.
(While trying to hide my disappointment)
Hello?
Hello. Mommy?
(She didn't really call me mommy, but we're trying to stay blogger friendly here.)
Yes.
This is (insert social worker's name here). How are you?
I'm fiiiine.
(Heart palpitations start. Palms start to sweat. Hands start to shake.)
Are you okay?
Yeah...I think so...unless you're calling with our referral...and then I'm not sure.
I am calling with your referral! Is Daddy home?
(Again, she didn't really call him Daddy, but we're trying to stay blogger friendly here.)
No, but he should be ANY minute!
Wellll...It's a boy and he is two months old today and....
That's kind of where everything started to blur and the room started to spin and the girls started to notice that something was going on. I think she went on to tell me more details, but I wasn't sure that I wanted her too because I didn't want to know it all without Daddy. She ended by telling me that an email was coming with more info and pictures and a big congratulations!
The flurry of noise and questions by the big sisters was overwhelming...to say the least. They could tell that it was THE call, but they didn't understand all the details, or the brief notes that I made.
WHERE IN THE HECK IS DADDY!!!
I couldn't tell the girls if it was a boy or girl before telling Daddy. We bounced around the house, video camera in hand, and waited about two hours four minutes for Daddy to come home. The girls attacked met him in the garage screaming with excitement about the referral call.
Daddy's response: This better not be a joke.
I followed with the video camera and was able to capture their responses when I told them that we...are expecting...a two-month-old...BABY BOY!!
Girls whooped and yelled and screamed and jumped for joy.
Daddy and I collapsed in each others arms and cried many tears of happiness.
Then it was time to look at the email.
My hand was shaking on the mouse. It was all I could do to click the button to make the pictures pop up. This was it. We were going to see our son's face for the first time. Our son. The child that God laid on our hearts a little more than nine months ago. The child that our friends, family, and even strangers have prayed over for months. The child that has been the center of many fundraisers and amazing notes of encouragement. Would it be love at first sight? Would we KNOW that this was our son? Would it bring happiness? Sadness? Fear? Doubt?
We cannot post pictures of him online, but I'll do my best to help you see him. In the pictures he is about 10 days shy of one month old. He is lying on his back on yellow and white pin-striped bedding. A sheet and a pillow case. There are blue and orange and blue and green flowers with white centers scattered on the bedding. He is also laying on top of a cloth of some sort that is ratty around the edges. He is wearing a shirt of some sort, maybe a onesie, that is white with pale yellow cording around the neck and short sleeves. There are two pale green snaps on his left shoulder. There is a cartoon horse on the front and pale blue words that say something along the lines of "stop all the horsin' around." He is absolutely swimming in this outfit. It is HUGE on him. There is a blanket over him that comes right up to the horse's nose, and we can't see his belly or legs or feet. His little arms and face are the color of the most delicious milk chocolate you've ever tasted. His skin is flawless. Absolutely flawless. And he has a little crease just below the wrist on the inside of each arm. His head is perfectly round. Perfectly. With just a hint of fuzz on top. His ears are tucked neatly on each side of his head, not too big, not too small. His pudgy little cheeks frame his beautiful, perfectly drawn chin, and just above that are his gorgeous full, kissable lips. They are parted a little and there is just a peek at his little tongue. His nose is a little button. Again, not too big, and not too small. His eyes. Oh...his eyes. They are as big as saucers. No, really. They are without a doubt his most distinguishing characteristic. They are wide and bright and so amazingly alert. They scream "I LOVE YOU MOMMY! I LOVE YOU DADDY! I LOVE YOU SISTERS!" They are framed by very light eyebrows and are two of the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen.
He was exactly two months old on the day we fell in love with him. Although we can't share his birth name in a public forum, I will let you know that it means "thanks giving." Coincidence? I think not. He is very, very healthy (praise the Lord!), and he is in the loving care of amazing nannies in a rural area of Ethiopia. We have chosen to name him Mattias, which means Gift from God. Appropriate, I think. We'll call him "Ty" for short, and I'm sure he'll have a bazillion nicknames before too long because that's how Daddy rolls.
Daddy and I both shared thegood amazing news with the grandparents and great grandparents and the five of us shared a special toast in honor of our son and brother.
Daddy's response: This better not be a joke.
I followed with the video camera and was able to capture their responses when I told them that we...are expecting...a two-month-old...BABY BOY!!
Girls whooped and yelled and screamed and jumped for joy.
Daddy and I collapsed in each others arms and cried many tears of happiness.
Then it was time to look at the email.
My hand was shaking on the mouse. It was all I could do to click the button to make the pictures pop up. This was it. We were going to see our son's face for the first time. Our son. The child that God laid on our hearts a little more than nine months ago. The child that our friends, family, and even strangers have prayed over for months. The child that has been the center of many fundraisers and amazing notes of encouragement. Would it be love at first sight? Would we KNOW that this was our son? Would it bring happiness? Sadness? Fear? Doubt?
Oh. Yes. This. Is. Our. Son.
Without. A. Doubt.
We cannot post pictures of him online, but I'll do my best to help you see him. In the pictures he is about 10 days shy of one month old. He is lying on his back on yellow and white pin-striped bedding. A sheet and a pillow case. There are blue and orange and blue and green flowers with white centers scattered on the bedding. He is also laying on top of a cloth of some sort that is ratty around the edges. He is wearing a shirt of some sort, maybe a onesie, that is white with pale yellow cording around the neck and short sleeves. There are two pale green snaps on his left shoulder. There is a cartoon horse on the front and pale blue words that say something along the lines of "stop all the horsin' around." He is absolutely swimming in this outfit. It is HUGE on him. There is a blanket over him that comes right up to the horse's nose, and we can't see his belly or legs or feet. His little arms and face are the color of the most delicious milk chocolate you've ever tasted. His skin is flawless. Absolutely flawless. And he has a little crease just below the wrist on the inside of each arm. His head is perfectly round. Perfectly. With just a hint of fuzz on top. His ears are tucked neatly on each side of his head, not too big, not too small. His pudgy little cheeks frame his beautiful, perfectly drawn chin, and just above that are his gorgeous full, kissable lips. They are parted a little and there is just a peek at his little tongue. His nose is a little button. Again, not too big, and not too small. His eyes. Oh...his eyes. They are as big as saucers. No, really. They are without a doubt his most distinguishing characteristic. They are wide and bright and so amazingly alert. They scream "I LOVE YOU MOMMY! I LOVE YOU DADDY! I LOVE YOU SISTERS!" They are framed by very light eyebrows and are two of the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen.
He was exactly two months old on the day we fell in love with him. Although we can't share his birth name in a public forum, I will let you know that it means "thanks giving." Coincidence? I think not. He is very, very healthy (praise the Lord!), and he is in the loving care of amazing nannies in a rural area of Ethiopia. We have chosen to name him Mattias, which means Gift from God. Appropriate, I think. We'll call him "Ty" for short, and I'm sure he'll have a bazillion nicknames before too long because that's how Daddy rolls.
Daddy and I both shared the
I immediately went to CVS.com to order prints of our baby boy's pictures. I was expecting them to be ready in about an hour, but it said that they couldn't be picked up until the next morning. What??? I called...explained that these were the first pictures of our baby boy and that I was going to need them ASAP. "No problem, ma'am. They'll be ready in 15-20 minutes." Whew. Crisis narrowly averted.
We all hopped in the car and with tearful eyes and huge grins we high-tailed it up to CVS. The 8x10. Oh...the 8x10. Almost life size. My precious son. God's perfect creation.
What to do next? Hmmmm....BUY BLUE OF COURSE!!!
Not where I usually buy my baby stuff, but VERY close to CVS, especially since we still need to eat dinner and bathe the kids, get them to bed, etc., we hopped a few store down to Big Lots and hit the baby aisle! I know that this may not come as a surprise to a lot of you, but there is a lot of really cute baby boy stuff. I've had blinders on for so long, buying an occasional gift for a friend or family member, but never for my own son!
We all hopped in the car and with tearful eyes and huge grins we high-tailed it up to CVS. The 8x10. Oh...the 8x10. Almost life size. My precious son. God's perfect creation.
What to do next? Hmmmm....BUY BLUE OF COURSE!!!
Not where I usually buy my baby stuff, but VERY close to CVS, especially since we still need to eat dinner and bathe the kids, get them to bed, etc., we hopped a few store down to Big Lots and hit the baby aisle! I know that this may not come as a surprise to a lot of you, but there is a lot of really cute baby boy stuff. I've had blinders on for so long, buying an occasional gift for a friend or family member, but never for my own son!
So...we bought this
Which was actually from CVS
It's a little cheesy, but it's BLUE, and it is our baby's first Christmas.
And we bought this
incredible BLUE and brown soft blanket
And we bought this
which has this on the bum






tears in my eys...amazing. I am so excited and happy for you all.
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I am so tempted to post a pic of the foot of my baby, but a tad paranoid. However, I notice people with other agencies did show an arm or leg.. sigh.......
ReplyDeleteI am waiting on bio boys myself and excited to get to court eventually.
What wonderful news Mommy!!! So happy for you, and your description of your new son made me feel I saw the photo myself!!! Thank you for sharing, and Happiest of Holidays to you and your family!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats again! I can feel the love and excitement coming out of this post.
ReplyDeleteYay! Our little boy is almost three months old and is there with him (also got the call on Monday afternoon!) Maybe we will be able to travel together and keep in touch, since they're probably big buddies and all :)
ReplyDeleteOh my friends....thank you for sharing this beautiful family moment with the world....can hardly wait to hold Ty and squeeze all of you when I see you next...
ReplyDeleteLove you guys....
I am so thrilled for you!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations again!!! I commented on your hubby's post as well. Such a great referral story. So happy to be sharing this journey with you :).
ReplyDeleteOMG!!!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!! I can't believe YOUR day is FINALLY here!!! YES!!! It's a SON!!! A healthy one at that!
ReplyDeleteOMG, can you tell I'm SO excited for you guys! :D
What a blessing ... I can't wait to see pics of your new beautiful son. I love his name. I actually considered that, but his nickname would've been Matty (which would've been too close to our daughter's name, Madison). I love that you'll be calling him "Ty", cause you know I'm biased. ;)
What a wonderful gift from God. Guess your family got your gift early this year. ;)
Happy Holiday's!!!
XOXO,
Cynthia.
Just catching up on the posts...PTL that he's here, and he'll be in your arms soon. Words are useless, I keep the prayers going. Love how this is unveiling for you all. Can't wait to meet him someday!
ReplyDelete