Friday, February 12, 2010

He Said "YES!"

The girls were upstairs reading books before bed, I was reading The Strength of Mercy (a book written by the woman who started All God's Children adoption agency) on the couch in the family room, and D was playing Call of Duty on the Wii a few feet from me. Occasionally, I would read him excerpts from the book, and he would nod as if he was paying attention. At one point, without blinking an eye or even pausing the game, he said "What if I say yes?" Huh? I couldn't respond for a moment. I didn't want to get my hopes up and think that he was saying "yes" to what I thought he was saying "yes" to. Had I asked him a question? Was there anything else out there on the table that required a "yes" or "no" answer? My "safe" response: "Say 'yes' to what?" Him: "To moving forward with the process." I think this is the point where I threw up in my mouth a little bit. I don't remember too much more about the conversation because I was a blubbery mess, but I do remember D kneeling next to me, taking my hand in his, and telling me that he was ready to do it. I don't remember ever being happier, feeling more content, or feeling God's hand so gently and mightily as I did that night.

Much to my surprise, when tucking the girls into bed that night, D asked them what they would think about having a little brother (Yes, he had already decided it was going to be a boy.). Having already talked to them about it numerous times myself in a nonchalant kind of way, I wasn't surprised one bit by their answers:

Dirty: It would be good, except we already have enough kids.
Little Bit: I think that would be cool.
KG: I think it would be great!

When I added that the brother would be from Africa and that we would be giving him a family that he wouldn't have otherwise, and that he wouldn't get to go to school otherwise, and he wouldn't have as much food to eat as he wanted otherwise, and that he wouldn't have a room full of toys and a comfy bed to sleep in otherwise - their responses all became one - "LET'S DO IT!" And the conversation turned into picking names and how they would help and where he would sleep.

Another part of the conversation is something that I will never forget, and the reason behind the name for this blog. I love the reasoning of a four-year-old. In a crazy way, it makes more sense than the reasoning of an adult most times. This is how Little Bit made sense of it in her own sweet little head:

"Well, we do have six chairs at our table, and there's five of us,
so we do have room for one more. That can be his chair!
"


Yes, sweet girl, that can be his chair.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very, very excited for you guys. Let me know how I can help!

    ReplyDelete