After I all the tears were dried up that Friday night, and after the disappointment that came with not being qualified to adopt from Haiti, and after many, many prayers and pleas to God to reveal what His plan was, I sat down at the computer and logged onto facebook - go figure. When all else fails, don't you turn to facebook? My status that night was something along the line of: "Crying my heart out while watching the telethon and hoping that my family would be on board" (if you knew me well enough, you knew exactly what this meant). A response from our pastor's wife actually spelled it out A-D-O-P-T-I-O-N, and she wanted to do it together. This was SO encouraging because this is a woman that gets things done and in record time. Also, her sister has adopted internationally twice and works for an adoption agency. My heart rate picked up a bit and I asked her sister to be my "friend." (We'll call her "C" for now.)
C accepted my friend request the next day and was actually on-line to chat. I told her about my desire to save one of the babies from Haiti, but that we didn't qualify. Also, Haiti had closed to all adoptions - qualified or not - due to the earthquake and all of the unknowns. Her response: Look at Ethiopia. Really? Ethiopia? Hadn't thought about Ethiopia...ever. The only thing I know about Ethiopia is that in elementary school there were pictures (naked) of women from Ethiopia in the National Geographic magazine - not a pretty sight or memory. But, God made me look...again. Here are some things that I've learned about Ethiopia since:
- There are MILLIONS of orphans in Ethiopia - Approx. 4-6 million.
- The life expectancy is about 40 years old, give or take a few years.
- The illiteracy rate is over 50%.
- Approx. 7% of the country is orphans.
- More than half of the country is 18 or younger.
There are many, many more staggering statistics, but these are a few that really stick with me. The children, especially orphans, have little, if any, hope for any kind of a future.
Also, the people, especially the children, are BEAUTIFUL! They have beautiful, big round eyes, gorgeous brown skin, tight curls, and heart-melting smiles. I'm in love.

Hi Traci! I'm really happy for you! It was so great to read up on your lovely family and wish you nothing but good luck!!!
ReplyDelete(Erin's Mom)