Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hit Me With Your Best Shot!

Yesterday and today were immunization days for Mommy and Daddy.  Getting ready for travel, just in case we get a court date at any point in the not too distant future.  

We will each need about seven incredibly mildly painful shots in the arms.

Daddy had his first four yesterday: Yellow Fever, Flu, Polio, Hep A/B combo.

He was not feeling so good last night or this morning with nausea and headache...

which made me UBER excited about going to get mine today: Yellow Fever, Flu, Tetanus w/whooping cough, Hep A/B combo.

The tetanus in the left arm was no biggie.  

The Yellow Fever in the left arm stung like *bleep*.

The flu in the right arm stung quite a bit.

The Hep A/B combo shot in the right arm...well...I guess I was a bit delirious by then.

We go back in one month for another Hep A/B and a couple others.

I also picked up our preventative malaria meds today.  Take one pill daily for a few days before we leave, each day that we're traveling, and a few days after we get home.  This has the fewest side effects, compared to the one dose version.

All this to say SMALL PRICE TO PAY for our son.  
I'd do it 100 times over.

Addendum: Day after shots and I'm feelin' fine.  Other than sore upper arms, really no side effects.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, this freaks me out a little! Are you getting all those to be safe...or is this for a specific "region" in Ethiopia where you would NEED all those? Just curious;)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got to get the yellow fever ones in the next week or so. Not looking forward to it, especially now that I've read this. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Renae - these are the recommended immunizations for traveling to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The anti-malaria meds are for our trip south to see Ty. The only one that is REQUIRED is the Yellow Fever. Apparently we have to have it to get our visa.

    @Brandi - You can do it! It stung real good while she was giving it, but is one of the least sore now. I have a very slight amount of nausea, but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your blog post title made me laugh - nice one! hope the effects ease up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we both had pretty significant reactions ot the Yellow Fever shot...i had a huge, very hot (really people could feel it) welt that size of a tennis ball on my arm....my husband and i got these weird headaches and neck aches...sheer exhustion...we thought we were really getting yellow fever...it was so bad
    I need to document this for my son....who may be home before he enters 1st grade

    ReplyDelete