Monday, May 16, 2011

Embassy Appointment in the books!

We are officially scheduled to appear at the US Embassy in Addis Ababa on Tuesday, May 31st!  We need to arrive in Addis no later than May 29th and leave no earlier than June 2nd.

We are struggling with flight arrangements.  This is pretty last minute notice and flights are booking up quickly!  The grueling 16 hour flight home last time was almost more than we could handle (I know...I still haven't posted about the last day of our first trip!).  It was ridiculously long.  Add to that the drive home from San Francisco, and you get a very strong desire to break up the flight for the next trip.  What's the hang up?  It's more expensive, the risk of your luggage being lost is greater, and we're not really sure what's worse - long layovers or long flights.  Ugh.  I have promised Daddy that I will surely have a melt down if I am flying with an eight month old and not sitting in bulk head seating.  I promise.  You can check me straight into the mental hospital.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200.

So, we're still working on flight arrangements.  We REALLY want to fly into Sacramento so that we can have that beautiful moment in our adoption video where we come down the escalator and everyone cheers and cries and the mommy and daddy crumple to the filthy airport floor and the sisters see their baby brother for the first time and all is right with the world.  I think it's worth the extra flights and stops and sleeping in lounge chairs at the airport.  Don't you?

So, we're leaving town next Wednesday or Thursday and returning to the Sacramento airport sometime Saturday evening, June 4th. We would LOVE to see you all there!  I can't wait to rock Sacramento International Airport's world!!


How are are we doing, you ask?  Well, we're obviously very excited.  We also obviously nervous.  At times we're I'm completely overwhelmed.  I'm nesting and PMSing - not a pretty natural combo.  I had to rearrange the entire pantry so that we have room for bottles, formula, baby food, etc.  We had to rearrange our room, paint it, put shelves in the closet, and set up a crib and changing table/dresser.  I already have a TON more laundry.  I'm all of a sudden an emotional wreck because of the amount of dust in this house.  I love looking through the amazing baby boy hand-me-down clothes with the girls (I cannot even begin to tell you how blessed we have been by hand-me-downs.  Seriously, this kid is probably set until he's four.).  I'm scared.  I'm wondering what in the heck we've gotten ourselves into.  Why did I have to be so adamant about hearing God's calling??  Why us?  Things are SO easy and comfortable around here.  I don't have to bathe anyone.  Everyone sleeps through the night.  I only occasionally have to cut up someone else's food.  I never smell like spit up.  I can't remember the last time I changed a diaper.  Why are we starting over??  I can honestly, 100%, without a doubt tell you that I never thought this time would come.  I truly, truly, truly never thought this would actually happen.  I dreamed about it.  I longed for it.  I got mad at God because I knew that He wanted us to do this, but Daddy was not on board.  I ached, physically, when I thought about it and knew that it was what we were supposed to do, but I never, ever actually thought it would happen.  Are you sure we can raise this boy?  Can we do the boy thing?  Can we do the interracial thing?  Can we do the four kid thing?  Surely we cannot.  Who are WE?  We're not special.  We're just normal.  Regular.  People.  We need God now more than ever.  More than when we needed to come up with $30,000, more than when we signed papers and wrote checks, more than when we got on the first plane, more than when we stepped into a foreign world, more than when we met Enat, more than when we walked away from our son.  Good news!  "Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (Matthew 19:26) And it is because of this that I have hope.  It is because of this that I am over-the-moon excited about being the momma of a baby boy, a stinky sweaty school-aged boy, and eventually a grown man.  It is because of this that I cannot wait to parade around in public with him as proud as can be.  It is because of this that I am willing to get on a plane again and fly across the world...far far away from my girls.  It is because of this that I am willing to share my room with someone other than my husband.  It is because of this that I get butterflies every time I think about his head resting on my chest while "wearing" him. *sigh*

Our exact itinerary is to come so that you can pray specifically for our trip.

Save the date for baptism and welcome home celebration: Saturday, July 9th in the p.m.  You're invited!

5 comments:

  1. I've been reading your blog with interest, as we are just a little behind you in the process. We have our court date 6/2 and are coming back from Addis to Dulles on the 10:15 pm flight on 6/3 on Ethiopian Airlines. I wonder if we'll be on the same flight??? Congratulations on your Embassy clearance...you're almost there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and God can do this!! It will be the hardest, most exhausting and hugest thing you've ever done but that's the point... you won't be able to do it without God! Lean on Him, He will give you the strength for each day, He promises that!
    So, so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana, we're going to fly Emirates, so unfortunately we won't be on the same flight, but we will be in Addis at the same time! Are you with Holt? Will you be staying at the Jemimah?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, we're with West Sands, and they have their own guest house. I'm not sure how I found your blog, but I've loved reading about your experience. We're getting so excited to travel, and just hoping and praying that our MOWA letter is there. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm thrilled for you and your family. i'm becoming familiar with the inexplicable fears, but you + God have totally got this.

    ReplyDelete