Saturday, March 13, 2010

The "Real Family"

We enjoyed one of our favorite family traditions this morning of having a big, late breakfast. Mommy makes the pancakes and cuts up the fruit, daddy cooks the bacon and eggs, and we all sit together at the table (with the empty chair). The girls LOVE these breakfasts, each eating no less than six pancakes with syrup or powdered sugar, 3+ pieces of bacon (preferring the pieces with the "white juicy parts"), a decent helping of eggs and fruit, and a glass of orange juice. Daddy and I love them too. Its a great way to start the weekend, nice and relaxed, and there is ALWAYS good conversation. "Good" = lots of laughs!

Some of our recent dinner and big breakfast conversations have turned into talks about this whole adoption thing. They are all very excited and have a million questions, a million ideas, and a million suggestions. They are excited about making bracelets to sell at our garage sale as a fundraiser, along with lemonade, of course! LB informed us this morning that we're going to need to get bottles, a crib, a car seat, diapers, wipes, and a stroller. Daddy and DM are very excited that there won't be an empty chair between them any more. And, we all decided that, most importantly, this child will have to LOVE pancakes and bacon!


Our conversation this morning took a little more serious turn. I was expressing to the girls how much we would love to take the whole family to Ethiopia some day, and KG replied with: "Yeah, that would be great to take the baby to see their 'real family.'" Lesson time. My sweet KG, we are the "real family." Just like you are our "real child," so too will this child be. We will love them no less, and no more. We will give them no less, and no more. The love will be unconditional...just as God's love is for us...and just as our love is for you. Even though this child will be conceived in someone else's womb, it was conceived in our hearts. But, at the same time, yes, it would be wonderful to meet the selfless people who loved this child so much that they gave it to us to love and adore. The woman who felt this baby kick her ribs and who bore the pain of labor and delivery, and then the even greater pain of handing her child to a stranger. Who loved the child so much that she wanted something more for him/her than she could give. Yes, I would love to wrap my arms around her some day.

I know this isn't the last time we're going to encounter this whole "real family" thing, and I look forward to explaining each and every time that we are this child's "real family." And, I'm looking forward to getting this shirt so that those who are too afraid to ask won't have to.




5 comments:

  1. Please notify me when those lemonades are served. I should want some...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this entry Traci. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this entry was especially sweet to me. My parents handled it exactly the way you did. Perfect! I love that shirt too. My mom would have worn that every day when we were little if she had one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to have to stock up, Mari Lyn! Glad you enjoyed this entry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shirt! I would love to buy it for you!!! Seriously enjoying all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete