Only eight more sleeps until take off!!
Unbelievable.
A lot of people have asked if we are excited, nervous, etc. The answer: Yes. Ask my sweet friend, Lori. Last Thursday, when we were dropping our kiddos off at preschool, she said something along the lines of: "It's getting so close!! Are you excited???"
I fell apart. Completely fell apart. That was the day that everything that needed to be done before take off hit me like a ton of bricks. I finally pulled myself together, just to fall apart again when I got in the car. I cried all the way home. Bawled like a baby. I was okay once I got home, until I was talking to Daddy on the phone, which of course caused the tears to flow some more. Then, I was doing pretty good until we had our small group meet here that evening. I asked that they would pray for me, not then and there (because that would make me too emotional), however I couldn't even get through my "prayer request" without falling apart.
Good news: That was the only day that I've had like that. So far.
Why? Because I got my rear in gear.
We had SO many big decisions to make at that point regarding our trip and I was completely overwhelmed.
Do we use a travel agent, as our agency recommends?
Do we use the agent they recommend?
Do we get our travel visas ahead of time, as our agency recommends, and pay at least $200?
or do we get them at the airport for $40?
How do I pack for Ethiopia? It's like camping and hoteling all at the same time!!
Who is going to pick our girls up from school and watch them each afternoon?
How do I compile all necessary information for my parents,
who will be watching our kids the majority of the time,
without writing a book?
How can we put a will together quick-like?
Why have people not signed up for our poker tournament??
Why on earth would I be overwhelmed?
We made some big decisions that day - including canceling the poker tourney, using the agency recommended travel agent, and getting our visas at the airport.
HUGE RELIEF!!
I also started making arrangements for the girls, and could not be more touched by the way our friends stepped up to the plate.
So, at this point, while still a little nervous, we are mostly excited. In the chaos of planning for the trip, I have had very little time to reflect on how amazing it will be to see our son for the first time, how hard it will be to say goodbye, how gut wrenching it will be to meet his birth mother (god willing), and how much I will miss my girls.
The girls are VERY excited about our traveling to see Ty and can't wait to see more pictures of him. Dirty is especially enjoying the count down and her sisters think she's a little crazy and have to keep reminding her that Ty's not actually coming home with us. They started with the more serious questions a couple nights ago: Are you nervous about going? Are you worried that for some reason we won't be able to adopt Ty? Are you worried that you're going to get sick while you're there?
Yes.
Yes.
and Yes.
However, what I have to continue to remind myself and the girls of is the fact that God is in control. He knows the ultimate plan for our family and for Ty. He can make good of any situation. What we ultimately want is to follow His will.
That being said, we are almost ready for take off. We have four of seven shots under our belt, with the rest coming this week. We have our daily anti-malaria prescription. We have our motion sickness patches. We have our Pepto Bismuth (yes, we went generic). We have our antifungal and hydrocortisone. We have our flight itinerary and hotel reservations. We have a small gift for each of the girls for each day we are gone. We have a small photo printer so that we can give recent baby pictures to birth mom. We have a photo album for birth mom. We have dress shoes that don't make too much noise. We have carry-ons and suitcases. We have Off and sunscreen. We have a small lantern and flashlight. We have a little less than a book of information to leave for the parents. Blah. Blah. Blah.
I'll send our itinerary before we leave and would greatly appreciate your prayers each day that we are gone. But, more than anything, I would ask that you pray for health. The two oldest are not well tonight and it would be really peachy if we didn't all get it at this point. Hear that Satan??? Back off, sucka.
your list was a great reminder for me of things I have forgotten and why I'm so exhausted!
ReplyDeleteThis is going to be a fantastic journey and We're so thankful to have another Christian couple to travel and pray with.
Just a few more days
We're praying right along with you!
Julie