Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Daddy Blog - Part Deux

Mommy has been doing most of the blogging.  But, I have another little something to say.  So, here it goes.

My dearest Ty,

ONE week until we fly.  It seems unreal.  It's been over a year since I put this adoption in God's hand and let Him guide my life in this regard.  Oh the places He's taking me!  To anyone who's reading this...be careful giving things over to God when you KNOW it's what He wants from you.  He won't let you down!  :)  Nothing about this last 12 months has been boring or run of the mill, that's for sure!

We found out we were having our first baby in May 2000.  Almost 11 years.  Every day since that time, I've hoped for a son.  Don't get me wrong, I love my girls.  Love them to death.  They amaze me every day and I would not trade them for ANYTHING.  And if I'd never had a boy, I'd have gone to my grave a happy and blessed man.  God knows what's best for me...and I don't even pretend to know better.  But MAN, I wanted a boy.  Just wanted someone who could share being male with me.  I think about the bonds that my Dad and I have over our beloved teams, good booze, and other "guy" stuff.  It can't be replaced.  I must say, I have incredible and awesome bonds with my girls, but it's just different.  Not better or worse, just different.  I wanted to experience the other side.  And now...the time is near.

In 10 days, I'll be on the other side of the world, and my son will be in my arms.  The mere thought of that meeting brings tears to my eyes as I type this.  I can't even imagine the emotions.  I'm going to be a mess.  You see, this whole thing is SO different than what I'm used to.  Not a girl.  Not a pregnancy.  Not a trip to the hospital for a delivery.  Rather, lots of prayers, paperwork, and frequent flier miles on the Emriates Airlines Skyward program!  Just so different.  It's an amazing testament to what God can do in your life if you just get out of His way and let things happen in His timing.

Son, I can't wait.  I'm paralyzed with fear and giddy with excitement all at the same time.  You won't know me when I arrive.  I'll look strange.  Smell strange.  Sound strange.  Feel strange.  But, I'll still be your Daddy.  The only one you'll ever know, I hope.  The one who will teach you how to throw a ball.  Shoot a hoop.  Play video games.  Do long division.  Tie a tie, Ty.  How to ride a bike and swim.  How to shoot your Red Rider BB gun (so you don't shoot yer eye out!)  How to talk your way out of detention just like I did.  :)  The one who will teach you how to respect and honor a woman.  The one who will teach you how to love our God and thank Him for all your blessings.  Even though you wont know me next week when we meet...you'll be sick of me soon enough!  :)  I can't wait.  I pray that God will prepare your heart and soul, so that when we meet, you'll sense that I'm your Daddy, and you'll cling to me like you know it.  But...if you don't, that's OK.  I'll make you do it anyway....because I said so!  :)

Ty, these next few days will change the course of both of our lives.  And you have NO idea.  Amazing.  Your sisters are SO excited to meet you.  They are actually glad that their Mommy and Daddy are going away to Africa for a week, because they know that they'll have new pictures of you from the trip.  They love you sooooo much...just wait.  I promise not to let them paint your fingernails or make you wear dresses.  I wont be mad if you hit them when they try to force you!  :)

Your Mommy and sisters and I are over the moon about you.  I look at your pictures all the time and think about holding you.  Kissing you.  Just like your sisters, you are an amazing gift from God...and I'm in love with you already - even before I've met you.  Just like the girls.  Ty, you are already such a huge part of our family, and you're not even here yet.  It's such a miracle of God's love.  I just choke up even thinking about it.

Son, it wont be long.  You'll be in my arms, even if only for a few short minutes.  All will be right with the universe.  I can't wait to see your country, meet your people, see your home, smell the fragrance, and hug your caretakers.  It's all such a mystery to me.  But not for long!  The day is coming, soon!

I love you, Ty.  More than mere words can express.  Can't wait to hold you.  Only 10 days.  You have NO idea the hurricane of love that is coming your way soon, little boy.  Until then, sleep well, eat up, and laugh lots!  I'm coming for you!

Love, Daddy.

2 comments:

  1. No finger nail painting? That's just wrong!

    Noelle asked to pray for Ty and Matt every night. I think it's sneaked into her heart too. Remember you are prayed for. I look forward to seeing Matt cry on youtube. :)

    ReplyDelete